WARNING: IT CONTAINS SPOIRLERS
I don’t even know how to start talking about the season 3 premiere episode because i was too emotional last night. Well, first because i was too excited about it, it was a really long hiatus, it felt like it took forever! Second, i was nervous about it, because i would finally see all the things the arrow crew were spoilering us about. Third, i was anxious about Olicity and what would happen in their date.
So, my opinion about the episode (and let’s be clear, that’s MY opinion): it was a good one. I liked the way they used an already known storyline to introduce us the new season. It was like the writers were saying “hey, we’ve came from that place, you know, you have seen it last season, but now it’s a little bit diferente.” I even liked the new Count, he was more evil than the last one.
Let’s make some fast considerations:
• About Roy: I loved to see him in action, with his new suit! He rocked! And the fact that Oliver sees him as a partner now … He’s officially part of the team!
• Daddy Diggle: How much do i love this character? A LOT. Diggle never failed me! He is the very best friend we all wish we have. The original Olicity shipper! Once again, wisely advising Oliver. Dig is, little by little, guiding Oliver to become the man he is supposed to be, and if this is not a truly friendship, i don’t know what else it can be. I loved how terrified he was to be a father and how Oliver was being protective about him. And i don’t think it was wrong to Diggle agree with Oliver’s point of view. He’s now a father, he gave a step forward, he’s building a life, a family, and yeah, i think he should priorize this now. But that doesn’t mean he should be out of team. Diggle will have to learn how to be a dad and a hero. He will have to learn to be both, that’s he’s crusade now.
• Lance: Let me just take a moment to love Lance properly for being awesome! He came from the i-will-put-you-in-jail-vigilante thing to we-never-thank-the-arrow-for-helping-this-city. He have been walking this path little by little, and see how far he have come! I’m also worried about his health and how he will take Sara’s death once again. It’s just so sad!
• Laurel: I liked the way she is now “business partner” with Oliver. This is just the begining for her Canary storyline, she will grow as character and that’s really good.
• Ray Palmer: kinda liked him, kinda don’t. I don’t know. I thought he would be more annoying than he actually is. Yeah, i definetly liked him. A little bit.
Now, let’s talk. I’ve seen people talk about this episode, saying it was a lame writing, i just don’t think so. It was all about Oliver trying to be Oliver Queen and finally let himself be with someone he truly love, and The Count had already played a big part in their lives! Have you already forgotten about the “He had you and he was going to hurt you. There was no choice to make”? The writers was just pointing out that moment once again! They were telling us when it comes to Felicity, Oliver will always choose Felicity, now she is his blind spot, and it sometimes may put both of them in trouble. Oliver still growing as person and he does not know how to be the selfless hero who saves his beloved city and be the man who can build a life with someone he loves at the same time. He doesn’t believe these two things can coexist, and he doesn’t understand that Felicity is willing to be his partner and his lover. Oliver is not there yet! And that’s why they brought back The Count, because the writers needed to take a step back to go forward, not only in Olicity storyline but in Oliver’s storyline. They were showing us where Oliver find himself now, and i liked it!
Said that, I loved everything about Olicity! From the houseplant to the “i told you the moment we talked it would be over”. We needed to watch Oliver accept his feeling for Felicity and believing briefly he could be with her and then watch it goes to waste. We needed to see happy and completely in love Felicity, so then we could see her get hurt because she wants to be with Oliver but at the same time she understand his point of view. She doesn’t want maybes, she doesn’t want to know Oliver loves her but can’t be with her. She doesn’t want half things, she want them all complete. That’s why she will try to move on. She will try to find herself complete with Barry and Ray. I won’t say she won’t find love with them because she belong with Oliver (though i believe that), i won’t be that selfish. I think she deserves to have as many possibilities as she can. Let’s see how that will work out.
Should i talk about Sara’s death now?
Oh gosh! It’s so complicated. We all love Sara so much. She’s a loving, strong, badass character. She was the part of Laurel we loved the most, and she was meant to be that! So we could have some kind of bonding with Laurel. And i totally understand why people are mad about her death. We all knew it had a strong possibility of this to happen and yet, it was devastating. To be clear, i didn’t want her to die either. But i can understand why it needed to happen. First, in order to Laurel become the Black Canary, Sara needed to not be around anymore. Wasn’t enough for her to be back at the League of Assassins? Nope! It’s not possible to develop Laurel’s character into an independent, strong, badass woman without making her always exist under her sister’s shadows. Sometimes, death is needed to make a character give the next step into the path of who they will become. And we already have seen that happen in so many other stories, even in Arrow … I’m not saying we all shouldn’t be sad about it or even understand it, but maybe we all should at least be reasonable and respect the writers decisions (i know sometimes they are questionable but …), the death of beloved charecters happens for a reason. Just hold on tight, time does heal everything. And second, now we have a really strong reason to hate what i believe to be Ra’s Al Ghul. What a fucking blast way to introduce a character huh!?
So, that’s it. Yeah, I think it was a good episode, a good way to start and i can’t wait to see what it’s going to happen with the rest of this season. I think i got a little longer than i wanted to be! I’m sorry for that, i’m just happy Arrow’s back!